For the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) – under the auspices of the ECOSOC – partners of the Gender and Energy Compact organize the side event “Harnessing the power of gender data to transform the clean energy workforce” that will be hosted by the Government of Iceland, supported by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), ENERGIA – International Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy, the Global Women’s Network for the Energy Transition (GWNET) and Sustainable Energy for All.
This event will take place on Tuesday July 11, 2023 at 08:00 – 09:30 EDT | 14:00 – 15:30 CEST.
The invited government representatives and technical experts will explore the benefits of women entering, remaining and advancing in the sustainable energy sector and the challenges that they face, along with some success stories that we can learn from. Through the discussion, we want to understand the reason behind the scarcity of gender-disaggregated data and the problems that the lack of gender-data creates.
Please save the date and join us at the UN HQ GA Building, New York, Room CR-8.
If you’re not at the conference in person, you can still follow the conversation through a live broadcast. Please register here.
Moderated by Ms. Sheila Oparaocha, Director of the ENERGIA Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy, the event will be opened by Ms. Fatou Haidara, Deputy to the Director General and the Managing Director of the Directorate of Global Partnerships and External Relations of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
This will be followed by reflections from the Governments of Iceland and the Government of Kenya. The key-note address will be done by Ms. Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (UN SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All, and Co-Chair of UN-Energy.
The panel will consist of the following outstanding speakers:
- Ms. Nathyeli Acuna Castillo, Gender Specialist, Energy Sector Management Assistance Program, World Bank
- Ms. Carla Kraft, Policy Specialist of Sustainable Development within the Economic Empowerment section, UN Women
- Ms. Rabia Ferroukhi, Director of the Knowledge, Policy and Finance Centre (KPFC), International Renewable Energy Agency
- Mr. David Arinze, Global Focal Point, SDG7 Youth Constituency
- Ms. Luisa Valentim, Head of Consulting Business Development, Global, Head of Consulting Business Development, WayCarbon